Samstag, 7. Februar 2015

Comfort food + SWAT team.





On days that are particularly cold or unpleasant I often ponder: 
"What kind of food would REALLY delight me when I come home for lunch, chilled to the bone?” 

The answer is obvious: 
A bowl of spicy chili.
Or the delicious smell of a fruit cobbler, topped with some caramel ice-cream. 

And that is exactly what I will prepare then! 

Myself, or at the moment partly my mom, who came to visit two days ago, aka the SWAT team/emergency helper/special unit to prevent the decline of the Occident. 

She set out after my call-for-help text message, entered my house, looked around and the first thing she called out in horror was: 
"Joanna! Candles are lit everywhere, music is playing, everyone bouncing around – where the heck are the packed moving boxes?” 
Me : "Um…there are none?” 
My mother: "But, but….how do you suppose you’re going to do this?” 
Me: "Living on the edge."

But this is over now, because: 
taadaaa, help is here, my mother holds a tight rein. 
Although my work pace is already fast – hers is way faster.

In between everything she gives head massages to her grandkids – something I cannot approve of, as I am her child after all and according to the right of the first-born I am the one who should have her hair braided.
My mom, and my mom alone, is responsible for my “I-will-sell-my-soul-if-only-you-touch-my-hair” trauma, as she used to apply this very trick to get me to go to sleep when I was a baby. 
She who made my bed should lie in it, too. 

Speaking of bed…um…soup (master of transitions): 
My mother prepared this one this time, I was responsible for the deliciously smelling cobbler that followed.  
A cobbler is generally speaking similar to a crumble, only the fruit is baked with a kind of dough on top instead of crumbles. 
Served lukewarm with a little plain yogurt or your favorite ice-cream – perfect! 















The cobbler tastes double as nice served in the beautiful casserole dishes by Falcon – they are available in sets of five, which is guaranteed to include one in the right size for any occasion:  
Whether it’s the extended family, spontaneous visitors or a household for two. 
They are so pretty that I also use them as serving dishes, which works very well, since they are rather shallow. 



Apple cobbler with raspberries

Approx. 2 pounds of apples
1 ½ cups raspberries (frozen)
3Tbsp brown sugar 
1/2 lemon, juiced 

For the dough:
9 Tbsp butter
1 ¾ cups flour
a scant ½ cup brown sugar 
½ cup plus 5 Tbsp buttermilk (or plain yogurt, alternatively) 
a heaped ½ cup rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350°.
Peel, core and slice apples into thick slices. 
Grease casserole dish, place apple slices into it, sprinkle with the sugar, drizzle lemon juice on top and mix in raspberries. 

With an electric mixer mix butter, sugar and flour until (kind of) crumbly. 
Add buttermilk and stir the mixture with a spoon until smooth – it doesn’t have to be perfectly smooth. 
Lastly add the rolled oats and spread dough over fruit. 
(The dough will be relatively firm). 

Bake for approx. 35 minutes. 

Serve lukewarm with ice-cream, vanilla sauce or plain yogurt. 







Casserole dishes, set: HERE
Linen table cloth: HERE
Everything via Babyssimo


By the way, Noelle was late today and asked me to take her to the train station by car, since she had missed her bus.  
Me (getting into the car): "Noelle, what do you think this is all about? I won’t always be there in your life to bail you out!” 
Noelle: "I’m just taking lessons from my role models."

Yes, I am also happy that my mom is here with us. 

Love,
Joanna



p.s. the white spots in Noelle’s pictures are real snow flakes, by the way ☺. 


This post was translated by Ginnell Studio.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen