Montag, 20. April 2015

My California reading list.



When I enter a bookstore, determined to purchase a good read, I often experience a sensory overload – browsing online for a book can be even more difficult! 
I certainly don’t want to read books by depressed authors (and believe me: there are many!), or anything “heavy going” that tires me out instead of relaxing me and I absolutely don’t want to buy a cook book that contains unenjoyable recipes! 

This is the reason why I am always happy about personal recommendations – and here are mine for you. 
Today I allow you a glance at my current reading list:  
Some of them are books I brought with me from Germany and some are books I bought in a local bookstore – and some of them you will surely like! 



1. Suspenseful murder-mysteries.

"11th Hour" (James Patterson)
"VERHEISSUNG. Der Grenzenlose: Der sechste Fall für Carl Mørck" (Adler Olsen) – not yet available in English

Both books are very easy reads (James Patterson is actually super easy!), for the plane ride or to cuddle up and read in bed and be kept awake all night by the suspense, although you know exactly how tired you will be the next morning…  










2. Cook book.

"Vibrant food" (Kimberley Hasselbrink)

One of the world’s nicest cook books that really makes you want to cook fresh food – organized by seasons with seasonal produce. 
It isn’t available in German, but can be easily understood. 
To look at beautiful pictures (first and foremost) and gather inspiration (second priority) and try simple recipes (at least 2 or 3 ;).









3. Reference books.

"The life-changing magic of tidying up: the Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing” (Marie Kondo)

Worldwide bestseller I hadn’t known about; written very simply, super easy to read, and so.good! 
I like the consistent style, the author’s professionalism and have a lot of fun reading it (although it takes 5 times as long, as I have to look up so many words, since I bought the English edition of the book locally).  

(I bet most of your houses look as clean as a whistle! But it is the ideal book for the 5 readers who are such sloppy housewives like myself.) 


"The Kitchen Counter Cooking SchoolHow a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks." (Kathleen Finn)

Unfortunately only available in English – what a pity, since it is a lot of fun reading it: 
Kathleen Finn addresses all those who are not "foodies", but ordinary people who lack the basic skills when it comes to cooking. 
For what is it worth, if someone writes “goes well with grilled salmon”, when you don’t know how to grill salmon? 
Or if you see something on sale, but don’t have any spontaneous ideas or abilities to prepare it? 
This is what the author writes about in a very encouraging and motivating kind of way - apart from the many basic recipes and entertaining personal stories. 
I don’t exactly know why, but this book makes me want to cook more than all the other cookbooks together! 

"Freakonomics: a rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything - surprising answers to everyday questions” Which is more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool?
What do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common?
(Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner)

Noelle is reading this book in English: it was one of the set books in Sacramento and she loved it so much that she definitely wanted to buy another copy in Santa Cruz. 
In an entertaining and easily accessible way this book practices thinking outside the box and explains economic correlations; I’d recommend it to anyone: teenager or CEO!  






4. Entertainment

"Silikon Wahnsinn: wie ich mit Schatz nach Kalifornien auswanderte." (Katja Kessler) – not available in English

Olivia gave me this book as a must read recommendation for the plane ride, and she was right! 
A wonderfully entertaining story for anyone who likes to enjoy some light reading to relax after work. 
No serious literary flights of fancy, but guaranteed smiles ;). 


What are the books that excite you right now? 
Tell me about them in the comments! 


Love,
Joanna


This post was translated by Eva Ginnell.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen